Sunday, January 18, 2015

Since Everyone Else is Doin' It...

(not pictured: two more bins and a ginormous box. I'm kind of embarrassed!)

Earlier in the week, one of my very favorite bloggers ever, Kelly Larkin of Kelly in the City linked this article about the Japanese Closet Clean-Out and my immediate reaction was "oh no" because man oh man did I need to do that.

As a college student, I live in a house with five of my close friends (Six girls, one house.  You can't even imagine the sheer volume of clothing that entails.) and also still sort-of reside in my parents home about thirty minutes away during long school breaks.  So that means I have two rooms to store clothes in, two closets, two dressers, and way too much stuff.

Right now I'm at home because my college has a forever long winter break (Not complaining! It's six weeks of heaven.) and we haven't started classes yet.  I got the flu during finals week and quickly and unexpectedly moved back home with just duffel bag of clothes I truly love and depend on, and you know what?  It's been totally fine.  Of course, I've accumulated more clothing over break with Christmas and honestly shopping trips taken out of boredom, but I really don't need much of anything that I left behind in my college house.

So today I drove back there, packed up two thirds of what was left, and have sorted it into "just need to be donated because I don't think I have friends interested in these clothes", "maybe my friends would like these", and "I don't particularly have a reason for this button-up or these slacks right now, but my mom will kill me if I give away my future work wardrobe".

It was actually fun because I'm excited to give some of these clothes a new life.  I don't dislike any of the stuff I'm offering to my friends (that wouldn't be fair, haha) but I just have things I like more.  I'm excited for other people to like them more than me and to give them away.

I'm hoping that the more I give away, the less I feel like I need.  For some reason all the clutter makes me feel like I don't have enough.  Weird how that works out, right?

Anyone else feeling the itch for some spring cleaning a little too early? What are your best tricks for staying organized and kicking out the clutter?

Remember, you can now follow Ohio Stripes on Bloglovin'! Check out the link in the sidebar!

2 comments:

  1. Relax a bit! I am cleaning my house too, what some new furniture in spring!

    xoxo Colli // my blog - tobeyoutiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. man o man... I need to do this stat!!!

    ReplyDelete